Thursday, July 18, 2013

Bookcase Makeover

So, as I have stated in the last post, we have recently purchased a home.  And, with that home, came bookcases.  I can't even begin to express my feelings about styling book cases..... TERRIBLE.  I knew I had a task to tackle.  It has taken me 10 weeks to complete these bookcases and the help of a dear friend. Thanks Kimber! :)  However, they are done (.)  I should have taken more before pictures but I am still working on the bottom half of the cabinet.  My wonderful dad is making me new doors and I have ordered new hardware.  I will post a final pic later but for an update, here you go......

Before.



After.


I first painted the back of the shelving walls.  I used Sherwin Williams Sealskin.  Next, I replaced the white painted shelving with yellow pine.   I used 2" thick and sanded them down followed by a coat of lacquer.   I needed to bring out the natural colors of the wood. 

I also had to find an alternative for that awful, old laminate counter top.  I couldn't pull it out due to the fact it would rip the top half of the cases out, so I opted to simply enclose them.  I went with a birch plywood to cut the cost down.  When going with plywood, I knew I would have to come up with a solution to hide the edge of plywood.  So, I went to my go to...... metal strips.  This time I chose an L-shaped piece to give a more finished look.

After all the switching out and replacing, I called in help from my dear friend to help with the styling.  After an afternoon trip to Birmingham, we tackled the project.  I added books from the thrift store at $0.75 a piece and simply sprayed them with white paint.  With all the shelving and different objects, I had to create unity.  And, painting books was the easiest way.

A final pic with new doors and hardware to follow.  Please stay tuned for many more updates and the final product.  Also, more to come on a bathroom renovation!!!

3 comments:

  1. books just to fill space are quite an investment! great idea to spray paint thrifted ones!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colour looks more sophisticated now. Nevertheless, you did a very great job with the bookcase makeover. It makes sense to really beautify this fixture because it obligates you to really arrange those books properly. Messy bookshelves look nasty in a room—that's what they say. Anyway, thanks for sharing this. It'll serve as an inspiration to your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really very helpful for me.i like your post because it is very useful for me as well. hoping the same finest operate in the up coming days also. thank you! SEO service in Minnesota

    ReplyDelete