Friday, March 1, 2013

Biscuits from Scratch

I'm sure it's no surprise, but there are not many baked goods that I make from scratch. Whether you work full-time or are a full-time mom, I bet most of you are in the same boat. Who has the time?

There is one exception though. My mother shared this biscuit recipe with me years ago, and it is truly one of the simplest recipes in my arsenal. These biscuits only require three ingredients and are done in less than 20 minutes start-to-finish. They work well as sausage biscuits and are absolutely delicious with cane syrup (my personal favorite!). Once you try them, there's no going back. Enjoy!


2 cups self-rising flour (I always look for flour that says "Best for Biscuits" on the bag.)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk

Mix flour, oil, and buttermilk. Spoon onto greased pan and mash down. Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Butter and serve.

Note: I always have flour and oil on hand. The buttermilk is a little tricky, as it's difficult to keep a fresh supply in the refrigerator. I do think this freezing technique is worth trying.


Recipe courtesy of Jean Hill. Image 2 courtesy of Homestead Revivals.

1 comment:

  1. I find this very informative and i would love learn more on this. It is extremely helpful for me. extended stay knoxville, cabins in knoxville

    ReplyDelete