Friday, November 16, 2012

Anne Read's Chili

Some friends of mine just welcomed their first baby, so I offered to take them dinner last night. I usually have a hard time deciding what to cook for friends. The last thing I want is to take something like chicken tetrazzini, when they already have four in their freezer. 
Fall is the right time for chili, no doubt. And yesterday was so gloomy in Savannah that is was definitely the right kind of day for it. All in all, it ended up being an easy call.
I can rightfully call this "Anne Read's Chili" because I somewhat made it up. Well, I more like combined three different recipes.
1 lb ground chuck
1 lb ground sausage
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large can of whole tomatoes (28 oz)
1 small can of tomato paste
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans
1 cup water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons cumin
salt and pepper to taste
  • Saute ground beef, sausage, onion, green pepper, and garlic in a large pot until brown.
  • Stir in remaining ingredients.
  • Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. I usually mash the tomatoes up a bit as it cooks.
  • Add additional water while cooking if the chili is looking too thick. This is usually only necessary if you have it heating in a crock pot for hours.
  • Top with shredded cheese and enjoy!
Obviously, ingredients may be added or taken away to your liking. Last night, I added pulled chicken, and it was so good! It was probably two cups of chicken that was cooked and picked apart with a fork. Definitely a great addition!
 

1 comment:

  1. This was so good! I was going to ask you for the recipe, but now I don't have to! :)

    ReplyDelete