While I realize it is really easy to buy the Pillsbury kind and throw them in the oven, nothing beats homemade cinnamon rolls. If you have never had them, you must give the homemade version a try! We make these on Christmas morning and are proud to say we got the recipe from every Southern lady's favorite cook, Paula Deen. They are truly delicious!
(Makes 12-15 rolls; prep time 1 hr 20 min)
1/4 ounce package yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup scalded milk
1/3 cup butter or shortening
1 tsp. salt
3 1/2 - 4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup melted butter, plus more for the pan
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
3/4 cup raisins, walnuts, or pecans (optional)
Glaze: 4 tablespoons butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3-6 tablespoons of hot water
A couple of dollops of cream cheese (I added this to the recipe)
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside.
2. In a large bowl mix milk, sugar, melted butter, salt and eggs.
3. Add two cups of flour and mix until smooth.
4. Add yeast mixture and mix in remaining flour until dough is easy to handle.
5. Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 5-10 minutes.
6. Place in well-greased bowl and let rise until doubled, usually 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
7. When doubled, punch down dough. Roll out on flour surface into a 15x9 inch rectangle.
8. Spread melted butter all over dough.
9. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over buttered dough.
10. Sprinkle with walnuts, pecans, or raisins if desired.
11. Beginning at 15 inch side role up dough and pinch edge together to seal. Cut into 12-15 slices.
12. Coat bottom of baking pan with butter and sprinkle with sugar.
13. Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the pan and let rise until dough is doubled, about 45 minutes.
14. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes or until nicely browned.
15. Meanwhile, mix butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Add hot water 1 tablespoon at a time until the glaze reaches desired consistency. Spread over slightly cooled rolls.
Recipe and image from www.pauladeen.com.