Thursday, November 10, 2011

Food for Thought


As loyal as I am to Souper Jenny's Turkey Chili recipe (I blogged about it here), I have recently found a strong competitor. It is seriously one of the best chili's I have ever had (and made) and could not be more different than SJ's version. I modified this recipe to my liking and have to say, it was delicious. Of course, I found it on my favorite recipe blog, Baked Bree.

The recipe is actually from the popular chef, Nigella Lawson. Trust me when I say this recipe makes TONS. I had chili for days and froze some- also a good idea! I recommend either halving this recipe or plan to freeze or give some away. It does take a while to prepare (about 45 min) but then you throw it in the oven for a couple of hours. It is also really good the next day if you want to cook it the day before you plan to eat it and reheat. Two things to warn you about: 1. This is really meaty chili (which I prefer). If you do not like so much meat, substitute more varieties of beans. 2. The secret ingredient is chocolate chips. You absolutely do not taste chocolate in this. There is just some savory taste you cannot put your finger on. Deeelish!

Nigella's Chocolate Chip Chili

Ingredients:

1 1/4 pounds chorizo (I used hot Italian sausage)
3 1/4 pounds boneless beef cut into chunks/stew meat (I used 4 pounds of ground beef instead) 3 onions
3 garlic cloves
1 long red chile
1/4 cup vegetable oil seeds from 3 cardamom pods (left this out because I couldn't find it- mainly at Indian grocery stores)
2 Tablespoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon dried pepper flakes
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup ketchup
4 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans
3 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1 cup water (I added a little bit more)
salt and pepper

1. Chop the onions and garlic, preferably in a food processor.
2. In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the onion, garlic, and red chile until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the cardamom, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and pepper flakes.
3. Cook the onion and spice mixture for a minute or two. Take the chorizo out of the casing and add to the pot.
4. Add the beef and cook until it starts to brown.
5. Add the beans, tomato paste, ketchup, diced tomato, and water. Bring the chili to a boil.
6. Once the chili comes to a bubble, add the chocolate chips. Stir the chips in until they melt. Cover the pot and put in a preheated 300 degree oven. Cook the chili for 3 more hours. Give a taste and check to see if you need salt and pepper.
7. Top with cheese and cilantro.
Enjoy!

Image and recipe from www.bakedbree.com

2 comments:

  1. Made it over the weekend with venison. Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you liked the recipe! Great idea with the venison!

    ReplyDelete