Thursday, October 13, 2011

Fall Recipes: Acorn Squash

Have you ever tried acorn squash? I get really excited when this shows up in the produce section at the grocery store and look forward to cooking with it each fall. This winter squash has a bit of a sweet flavor and is one of the best varieties for baking. Here are some of my favorite acorn squash recipes (click on the hyperlinks for the recipes):





Acorn Squash Soup


Stuffed Acorn Squash



Fruity Acorn Squash


Honey Spice Acorn Squash



All recipes and images above from www.allrecipes.com


My favorite acorn squash dish of all time is this version of stuffed acorn squash. My roommate makes this and I am obsessed with it! She got the recipe idea from her mom and made it her own with sweet and savory ingredients. There really is no set measurements for this recipe, just add the amounts that work for you. You can also add things like dried cranberries or walnuts. I'm sorry I don't have a picture, but trust me, it is delicious!



1. Cut the squash in half crosswise and scoop out the pulp and seeds. Trim the ends so each half will stand upright. Place both halves in a baking pan, flesh side up, and pour hot water into the pan to reach about halfway up the squash. Add a dollop of butter to the center of each squash and a pinch of brown sugar. Loosely cover the pan with foil. Bake the squash on 400 degrees until tender when pierced with a fork, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
2. In a saucepan, sauté a package of sausage (I usually like to get the maple flavor) and onions. I then add diced green apple and some maple syrup.
3. Take the baked squash out of the oven and add the sausage filling. Cover with slices of cheese (a good one is Parmesan or Asiago). Put back in the oven and cook until cheese is melted.



Enjoy!

1 comment: