Thursday, October 27, 2011

Weekend in DC

This past weekend I went to DC and was reminded how much I LOVE THIS CITY. I truly regret not living here after college- it is such a great town! I love the history, the architecture and how it feels busy like NYC, but not quite as big. I wanted to share some of the fun things we did since we had some locals with us!

When we arrived on Friday evening, we went straight to my new favorite restaurant, Founding Farmers. This may be old news to DC locals, but I am officially obsessed with this place. We couldn't get reservations, so we happily sat at the bar for 2 hours, which was only bearable because of the cool cocktails, great appetizers and interesting atmosphere. For apps, we had the bacon wrapped dates, skillet cornbread, deviled eggs and bacon lollis (we were there for over 4 hours people). I had the Organic Cucumber Cocktail and it was deee-lish! It was made from vodka, cucumbers and cantelope.

Here it is in all its glory, next to another cool cocktail, Farmer Jon:

While sitting at the bar, I had a great view of the canning-inspired decor. I just thought these glass jars filled with various things like pickles, green beans, corn and carrots were so creative; goes perfectly with the farm-to-table thing and are so eye-catching. In case you were wondering, I got the Southern Pan-Fried Chicken, complete with waffles, gravy and mac 'n cheese. I still dream about this dish! Next time you are in DC, you must try this place- but get a reservation or you will wait like we did!


The next morning we walked around Georgetown to take in the sites and storefronts. I was so excited to stumble upon this Revolutionary reinactment- what is DC without seeing one of these??


Our host for the weekend, Julie and I (I am on the right)- yes, those are Pumpkin Spice Lattes!


Later that night, we met my friend from Alabama, Stephanie, for dinner. We chose Wolfgang Puck's first DC venture, The Source. This contemporary, Asian-inspired restaurant was fantastic! We had a variety of dumplings to start and then two of us got the filet (yummy!) and two of us got the scallops. Everything was fantastic, as expected from Mr. Puck. Here are Steph and I with one of the best (along with the cucumber one from Friday) cocktails I have ever had- the Asian Pear Martini- they only make a certain amount each night, so you know it is good! I definitely recommend this restaurant as well.



(That's Stephanie on the left and me on the right)


Our yummy entrees, the filet and scallops.



We ended our trip with brunch at Old Ebbitt Grill, a DC institution, and the obligatory White House pic. Okay, so I made Julie and Bethany go take one with me, but I know they are glad we did!



I'm headed to Tuscaloosa next weekend to visit Leah and see the Tide roll over LSU, so hopefully we will have some pics to share. Until then...happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment